In the spirit of July 4th and SVPAZ’s mission, consider these ways to give back this holiday weekend:
1. Support our troops and veterans. Put together a care package for Packages from Home to send overseas. Learn more about and get involved with Valley Military and Veteran support organizations, including: Arizona Coalition for Military Families, Bridging AZ, Homeless ID Project, and Fighter Country Partnership in support of Luke Air Force Base.
2. Gather the family and feed the homeless. We all know it’s exceptionally hot out. Get your family and friends together and join our friends and the 2016 Fast Pitch Winner ONe TRUe LOVe, to provide a good meal to our homeless this holiday weekend. Or ask guests at your July 4th picnic to bring a donation (i.e. some extra bottled water and a nonperishable) for ONe TRUe LOVe to use at a later event.
3. Celebrate your independence. The holiday honors the values of freedom and liberty established by our Founding Fathers. Look into organizations that champions government reform, like Project on Government Oversight.
4. Think Local. Buy Local. Be Local. Celebrate National Independents Week with Local First Arizona and hundreds of local businesses across the state. By supporting local, we support the backbone of our local economy.
5. Volunteer in the Local Community Celebrations. We all love a good parade and fireworks show. Take your love to the next level and volunteer within your local community to host the event. There are a number of events throughout the Valley. See where you can make a difference.
And, as a reminder, SVPAZ’s offices will be closed on Monday.