In early January, the Social Venture Partners Arizona (SVPAZ) Education Affinity group convened to select projects to fund as part of its mini-grant program. The program asks students, teachers, and administrators from the Phoenix Union High School District (PUHSD) to submit proposals for funding in the areas of academics, arts and culture, leadership and development, and school culture. SVPAZ implemented this program as a response to impactful passion projects that were not able to be funded through the limited district budget.
This grant cycle saw more than 35 proposals reviewed and ranked by Partner members of the Education Affinity Group. While all of the programs were innovative, worthwhile, and worthy, here are the projects that were ultimately funded (in no particular order):
- Franklin Police and Fire High School – Accuplacer Ready Workshops
- Alhambra High School – Quiz Bowl
- Bostrom High School – Bostrom’s Got Talent (Talent Show)
- Cesar Chavez High School – High Teach Tutoring
- Bioscience High School – Dragon News (Broadcasting)
- Carl Hayden High School – Sensory Room
- Cesar Chavez High School – Preschool Physics Fun
Congratulations and we look forward to hearing about your successful progress!
John DeWulf, SVPAZ Partner and lead of the Education Affinity Group, and Attorney at Coppersmith Brockelman